[Update: 2/14/18] A press release issued by San Francisco Unified School District indicates that officials believe students consumed an edible cannabis product.
"The students' symptoms were consistent with marijuana intoxication and a container labeled 'medical cannabis" was confiscated,' reported SFUSD.
[Update: 5:40pm] According to Bay City News, one student suffered critical but non-life threatening injuries, two were moderately injured, and seven students received minor injuries.
Additionally, SFFD spokesman Jonathan Baxter said a separate medical emergency required that a student be hospitalized for treatment of an injury not considered life-threatening.
Ten students from James Lick Middle School are being treated for "adverse reactions" after ingesting an unknown substance, according to a spokeswoman for San Francisco Unified School District.
At 2:49pm, the city's Department of Emergency Management advised the public to avoid the area near the school at Noe and 25th streets due to police activity.
According to tipster Blake Mitchell, several ambulances and marked police vehicles are on the scene. Bay City News reports that students are being treated on site and parents have been contacted.
School officials have asked any other students who are experiencing symptoms to come forward without fear of reprisal.
Never miss a story.
Subscribe today to get Hoodline delivered straight to your inbox.